Friday, September 18, 2009

September 18 - Corvallis, OR to Crescent City, CA


Barb - Several times on this trip, we have had to make that momentous decision: Which way should we go? This happened again yesterday and after studying various maps and routes, we elected to go south through Oregon on I-5 and end up at Crescent City, California, in the heart of the redwoods. Interstate 5 provided a variety of scenery - some dry, some forested (we saw another forest fire to the immediate east of the interstate), and several passes through Oregon's mountains. Highway 199 to Crescent City can be described by Ed! I carefully watched the right side of the road - not the canyon side, but the "we're next to the mountain edge/rock slide side"!

We're planning to spend the weekend seeing the tall trees in Redwoods National Park plus some other sites.

Ed - Well, we decided to see the redwood forests and we made it to Crescent City. If we would have made the journey from the Oregon/California border to Crescent City in a car, it would have been interesting - in the RV it was VERY interesting. The road had signs that trucks with kingpin lengths longer than 30'-0" should not take the road. Our kingpin length is 38'-0" - which should have been a indication of the effort required to drive the road. We made it, but a few times I was worried the rear car bumper would touch the front of the RV as we made the turns. Additionally, as we drove the road, I did eventually see more semi-tractor/trailers so I was sure we would eventually make it through. I am not sure I have ever turned the RV that many times since we purchased it. I think I will drive back to Interstate 5 on a similar road - just for practice! (NOT)

No comments:

Post a Comment