Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wednesday, August 26 - Hastings, NE to Chadron, NE




Barb - The early morning hours in Hastings (2:30 to 9) brought 4 to 5 inches of rain! Some areas close to our campground were decently flooded. We headed north to Highway 2 which spans central Nebraska east to west to see sand hill country. It was very green for August with lots of wildflowers in bloom, plus corn and soybeans looking good for eventual harvest in the flatter areas. I know we saw at least 10 BNSF (Burlington Northern Santa Fe) trains heading mostly east with loads of coal! Highway 2 was mostly a good highway with little traffic, but also few towns to stop in for gas or a lunch stop. We got to Mullen, NE and found a park for lunch. After getting to the metropolis of Alliance (9,000 pop.), we drove past the Carhenge tourist site.
There wasn't enough parking area for us (we need 60 feet with RV and car) so I was proud of the photo I took from the window as we went by! We drove on to Chadron and decided to stay an extra night to see a couple of the local historical sites. Ike, our Brittany, likes the rabbit scents in this RV park!

Ed - When we arrived I found the area to have an over abundance of mosquitoes. In order to set the RV up I had to find the bug spray and coat myself.

3 comments:

  1. What fun to be able to read about your journey! I meant to do that this summer, but failed miserably. I am reading this at my school desk; the kids just got out and I finally have time to catch up on my e-mail.

    I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work on the blog, Burgies!
    We just read your first three entries, and are enjoying "traveling" right along with you 2 + 1 (Ike).
    Vic (Ed's twin) & Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drove through a tornado along I80 near Hastings NE. Actually rode it out under a bridge until it blew through....then got out of there FAST!

    ReplyDelete